Hello! I’m Cathy
Dr. Catherine Richardson/Kinewesquao is a counsellor specializing in violence prevention and recovery. She is currently living on the territory of the Kanien’kehá:ka Nation in Montreal, where she is an Associate Professor in the School of Social Work at the University of Montreal. Dr. Richardson is a co-founder of the Centre for Response-Based Practice. Her most recent research project include a study on Metis identity in Quebec and Indigenous women’s experience in sharing their stories in public forums, such as government inquiries and commissions. Cathy has a leadership role in a number of research organizations, including the Canadian Domestic Homicide Prevention Initiative With Vulnerable Populations. She is a Health Canada provider for the intergenerational survivors of residential school internment.
Cathy has two recent book publications “Belonging Metis” and “Calling our families home: Metis experiences with child welfare.” She is Metis with Cree, Dene and Gwichin ancestry and with links to Red River. She is involved in Aboriginal community projects and was a twice delegate to the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues.
- Ph.D in Child & Youth Care, University of Victoria
- Masters in Counselling Psychology, University of Victoria
- Post-degree Professional Program in High School Education, University of Victoria
- BA in French & Political Science, University of Victoria
- Associate professor in social work, Université de Montreal and University of Victoria.
- High school teacher in french immersion, British-Columbia Public School System.
- Community counselling and private practice, British-Columbia, Quebec & Yukon.
- Child Protection, Safety planning. (Islands of safety, Ministry of Children & Family Development, B-C.)
- International trainer for Response Based Practice.
My Certifications and Awards
- 2019 Indigenous Practice Award of the Canadian Counselling & Psychotherapy Association
BC Association of Clinical Counsellors
Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
Registered Health Canada Provider For Indigenous Clients
Co-founder for Center for Response Based Practice
Getting Started is Easy
Ask a question or book an appointment below.